MY TOP PICKS FOR TRAMLINES 2018 - 14/07/2018

Tramlines returns once more next weekend as it celebrates its 10th anniversary. To find out all about the changes which have been made to the festival as well as other vital info, read my preview here. All times for all acts throughout the weekend are at the end of this piece.


One thing I always find difficult when writing about festivals, especially when there are artists with the calibre of some of those on the Tramlines line-up have is choosing my top picks. Despite that, I have narrowed it down to 15 must see acts – this doesn’t mean there are not loads more I would recommend and will be going to see throughout the weekend.

So, in the order of when they shall be playing (just to make things that bit easier for if you plan to see any), here are my top picks for Tramlines 2018:
THE BIG MOON are the alternative London-based quartet who recently released their debut album ‘Love in the 4th Dimension’ who are going to be taking to the main stage of Tramlines on the opening day of the festival. Hitting up the stage after Saint Petersburg, Juliette, Soph, Celia and Fern will kick off their performance at 16:15.


New Forest’s quartet THE MAGIC GANG shall be presenting their music for your ‘mind, body, spirit and soul’ will also be gracing the festival on Friday but Angus, Jack, Kris and Paeris will be one of the first few bands to play The Leadmill stage as their performance begins at 6:30 on Friday.


The first of Stockport’s talents to make it to my top picks list is the four-piece band known as NO HOT ASHES. They are bringing their food vibes and bop-filled tunes to the festival courtesy of the showcase from This Feeling and Scotts. Isaac, Luigi, Jack and Matthew will be the last band of the day on The Library stage as they kick things off at 8:30pm on the Friday.


Hailing from the neighbouring town of Doncaster, Anastasia, Ross and Richard – better known as BANG BANG ROMEO are the blues infused rock ‘n’ roll trip who are one of the most memorable bands I have ever seen or at least heard live. I remember when I was going for a meal a few years back and they were playing an event in the town centre. As soon as we got out the car, they were all you could hear. They were quite simply flooding the streets with the pure power which just radiates from them, particularly that of Anastasias’ voice. They will be taking to the main stage of the festival at 1:30 on the Saturday.


Sheffield’s very own garage-pop / indie band REDFACES shall, like The Big Moon & Bang Bang Romeo, be taking to the main stage of Tramlines. They are another band in which I have been lucky enough to catch live once before and I have to say that Harry, Isaac, Ryan and Charlie are one of my favourite young Sheffield outfits and have bagged that main stage slot as I am obviously not the only one who feels that way. The quartet are set to begin their set at 2:30 (just after Bang Bang Romeo).


The quintet from Stockport known as BLOSSOMS shall be the last ones to warm the crowd up for Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds – something which is nothing new for Tom, Josh, Charlie, Myles and Josh as they joined the band on their tour across Europe last April. This set is one which I’m most looking forward to as this is the closest to watching a headline set of theirs I will have gotten so far (despite this being rather different to a headline show). I have previously only seen the band through them supporting others (The Courteeners & The Stone Roses) so getting to watch an hour long set of theirs will be something completely new for me and will for sure present more of their fans than the previous times I’ve seen them. Their main stage set kicks off at 6:45 on Saturday.


Another band coming straight out of the Steel City to play their ‘hometown’ festival is WULFMAN FURY. A band I have not yet been able to catch live but I am very excited to do so because of what I’ve heard / read about them and through their released tracks, their songs are ones in which I feel I will enjoy even further when I finally see them live on the Tramlines weekend. George, David, Will, Joe and Steve definitely strike me as ones to watch to the buzz that seemingly surrounds them. The Leadmill stage is the one they shall play and they shall be doing so on the Saturday at 4:30.



PALACE, the alternative-rock trio from London will be the second to last act to play The Leadmill stage on the Saturday as they play just before Rat Boy. The debut album of the trio came out in 2016, last year they released the single version of their track ‘Live Well’ from that first album. Something which might mean that more music may well be on the way. For now, you should definitely head down to The Leadmill stage for their 7:30 set, I am sure you shall not regret it.


This top pick is not someone who I would necessarily go and see if it wasn't in this setting but I feel as though, in this setting you would be guaranteed to have a good time dancing around to his music and it would in someways be a somewhat welcomed change to the genre due to what the rest of my top picks fall under and so CRAIG DAVID'S TS5 makes the cut. I am pretty sure seeing him would be a fabulous way to finish your Saturday at Tramlines. The set shall start at 7:30.



The third band in my top picks whom hails from the hosting city is the six-piece band, THE SEAMONSTERS. When I first gave the indie band a listen, I wasn’t sure what I would think of them but I was rather pleased with what I heard and I am definitely looking forward to being able to see what Naomi, Lauren, Holly, Tessie, Ella and Ciara are like when they perform live, something which I shall soon find out as they open T’Other stage on the Sunday at 12:45.


GENGAHR are the band I would say I have been following the longest (music wise) out of all the bands on this list but yet again, they are a band I’ve never been lucky enough to see live so as you can imagine, I am incredibly excited to finally be able to see Felix, Danny, John and Hugh at this years Tramlines. If you also which to see the London based four-piece then T’Other stage at 2:45 on Sunday is the place for you to be.





I first saw JAKE BUGG when he took to the stage of Leeds Festival back in 2014 ahead of the set from Arctic Monkeys. I was thoroughly impressed by his set as I am a big fan of his but was left feeling majorly deflated following his set because of those who surrounded me in the crowd. I am hoping very much that as he is headlining T’Other stage on the Sunday that those in the crowd will be there for him not waiting around for those that followed as it will definitely be something that will mean I walk away from his set without the feeling I did last time and shall allow me to fully enjoy every aspect as he is brilliant live. The singer-songwriter from Nottingham will be kicking off his set at 7:45.



Without a doubt one of my favourite bands has to be SHEAFS. I first discovered the five-piece who met in Sheffield during their time at university when they were playing their first ever headline show as I had gone down to catch The Bulletproof Bomb and since then the growth I have seen from this band has been nothing short of amazing and they have made some absolutely amazing achievements. After not having seen them for a really long time I am very much looking forward to them killing it as they play the showcase put together by John McClure of Sheffield’s Reverend and the Makers at The Leadmill stage. Lawrence, Callum, Chris, Charles and Charlie will grace the stage on Sunday at 4:30 after the comedians of the day.



One of the most talented bands I have discovered in the last year is Sophie and the Giants, who I had the pleasure of meeting when I did a photoshoot with them. I then went on to see the Sheffield-based quartet live when they supported Trudy and the Romance at Sheffield’s Picture House Social where they showed just why they have not only gained this slot (also part of the John McClure showcase) but have recently signed a deal with Universal Music Germany – something which, is both literally and figuratively speaking, a massive deal. They seriously are not one to miss if you are attending this years Tramlines, so just don’t do it to yourself. Sophie, Toby, Bailey and Chris will be taking to The Leadmill stage at 5:30 on Sunday.



TOM GRENNAN is the final act to take to the stage as part of John McClure’s showcase and it’s fair to say, with this debut album (Lighting Matches) currently in the top 5 of the UK he more than deserves that slot. From someone who went around London doing gigs in small pubs to headlining festival stages with an album out - he really has come incredibly far in the last 5 years and there is no doubt in my mind that in the next five years, he’ll be on his way headlining bigger stages with at least another album out which has done even better than this as he is an utterly incredible talent. His set will be the perfect end to the weekend so be at his set on the Sunday at 7:45 also, like Sheafs & Sophie and the Giants, on The Leadmill stage.



All of the times for acts throughout the weekend are as follows:






Written by Sophie.

Comments

Popular Posts