A LIVE REVIEW OF PETE DOHERTY AND THE PUTA MADRES AT THE VENUE, DERBY - 17/02/2019

On Friday night, Pete Doherty and the Puta Madres hit up Derby’s The Venue for the 3rd night of their ‘Who’s Been Having You Over’ tour. This intimate UK tour comes ahead of the release of their self-titled debut album which is out on 26th April.

Having gone from being in the photo pit to standing at the back of the room throughout the course of both sets, I was able to take in every aspect of the gig. Not just the performances of the bands but also my surroundings in terms of the crowd. It’s been a while since I was at an all-consuming gig and so it was a great feeling to be back at one.

Kicking things off were the only support of the night – Rubber Jaw. 


I originally felt a little apprehensive about the fact that there was only one support but in hindsight, only one was needed. This was my first encounter with the Essex hailing trio but it certainly won’t be my last as they definitely gave me a positive first impression and, as they say – first impressions count.



As a whole, the band seemed polished. Frontman Michael Hemmings laid down dreamy harmonies mixed with hardened vocals. Joining him on guitar but taking the lead was Ross Connell who is without a doubt the most energetic of the band due to him not spending much time in one place. Unless it was to join Hemmings through his backing vocals that is.
Although he seemed to have a little issue with his ear buds at some points in their set, drummer and electronics man, Archie Mann, got through in good fashion providing the beat for the other two members of the band.

Despite being heckled by a girl in the front row who was shouting about Essex, The Only Way Is Essex, Eels and Question Time, they maintained a smooth set. I’m sure gained themselves a few fans (they did in myself) while making their Derby debut as they did a perfect job in warming up the crowd for the main attraction, Pete Doherty and the Puta Madres.






When thinking about Pete Doherty and the Puta Madres’ set, all I can think of is the word special. I think that is down to the size of the venue in which they played. I am not sure I ever thought I’d be able to see The Libertines frontman Pete Doherty perform such an intimate set, even if it was with another of his bands.
Special that is, except from my choice of where to stand at one point. Slightly ruining it for me were a group of men in front of me talking all the way through his songs. I don’t quite understand why you’d pay twenty pounds to go see someone live and then talk all the way through it and in the process annoying those around you.

Never having seen this band before and only recently getting a listen to one of their tracks (a single from the album which named the tour) I was unsure what I would think. I love The Libertines and Babyshambles and I love lead guitarist Jack Jones’ band Trampolene but obviously this is a separate band and they have keyboard and a violin incorporated too.
With that said, I thought they were brilliant. With them all complimenting each other well, it works. I was worried the violinist Miki Beavis and keyboardist Katia DeVida may be slightly drowned out by those playing other instruments, but they weren’t. They’ve created a good blend between those and the guitar, banjo and harmonica of Pete, the lead guitar of Jack, the bass of Miggles and the drums of Rafa.

They put on one hell of a show, topped off by their versions of You’re My Waterloo and Fuck Forever which were definitely the biggest crowd pleasers.
It was one of those shows that goes too quickly and you then spend your night reeling about because you seemed to have blinked and it was over.

Comments

Popular Posts